Thursday, May 2, 2013

Rejection

Three and counting. I've sent 17 query letters(not a lot, I know), and so far I have amassed three rejections. I have mixed feelings on these. My first was in seventeen minutes, the second in about four hours and the third in three minutes. I seriously think this may be going for a record on quickest rejections.

First for the bad. The three minute one tells me she didn't read the chapter they ask for in submission guidelines. Now, the good. I haven't gotten a form letter yet. I'm not sure how that's happened.

The first one addressed me by name, thanked me for my well written and clear query and said that she appreciated not having to wonder what my book was about or if my writing would be good or not, but that she is transitioning away from representing fantasy and therefore didn't feel she was the right agent. It didn't sting too bad.

The second told me that she enjoyed the chapters, thought they were well written and free of grammar errors, which is apparently a rarity. She then went on to say that she didn't love it enough to read it all. Again, not too painful.

My third one was last night. She thanked me for obviously having researched the agency and her and for making her want to read my book, but that she didn't feel she could do it justice, so she was going to pass.

In the grand scheme of things, I think this tells me that I'm on the right track and just haven't hit on the RIGHT person yet. Ultimately, my top two agents have not yet responded, but given that today is just a week from my first query, I think I've got a long way to go. I read somewhere about an author who sent 220 letters and got 4 requests. I don't know if I've got that much determination in me, but I'm pretty damn determined to get this book out there. I think it's worth reading, and I know it might sound cocky, but I'm damn sure it's good. So, I continue to query.

Any advice from anyone with an agent or publisher?

1 comment: