Wednesday, July 16, 2014

It's Wednesday

I almost didn't post one of these today. Not because I'm having problems writing. In fact, with the exception of yesterday, I've been blazing through Nephil's Destruction. But yesterday my 14 year old Lab, Lilli, died, and that's made it hard for me to want to do anything other than mope and pout.

I won't dwell on it too long, and I don't want everyone else to be depressed with me. She was a very old dog, who lived a very good life. She died in my arms in the back of the car on the way to the vet, surrounded by those who love her, and she's with very good company at the Rainbow Bridge. But that doesn't make me miss her less, and it doesn't make the loss easier to take. Seeing her empty spot this morning was hard. The only thing harder is explaining to my two year old where "Lil-Lil" went and why she can't come back.

But I'm pushing forward, and writing has always been a place for me to escape, so I'm forcing myself to post today and I'm going to go enjoy everyone else's WIPpet as well. For those who don't know, a WIPpet it a once weekly post of a current work in progress. The rules are simple: the amount you post must have some correlation to the date. After you're done reading mine go here and read all the other fabulous posts.

So, without further ado, here's the WIPpet of the week. Today is 7-16-2014 so you get 16 paragraphs from book 6. I went with a humorous scene, so I hope you all enjoy.




“Only Gabriel could sound like a complete pretentious prick while apologizing.” Zeke stared up at the ceiling as she spoke. “I think he seemed honest enough about it, and I’m glad he did it, but damn can that Angel sound like a dick no matter what the occasion?” 
Amaya giggled. “Yes, he can.” She folded her arms under her head. “Deacon said that after he left you, he went down and told Michael that he’d had a change of heart and would like to start working with some of the Nephilim. He’s going to start training some of them and commanding some of the squads. He didn’t even try to talk to me. It’s like there’s an alien living in his body or something.” 
Zeke groaned. “Don’t even mention aliens. That would be the last fucking thing we need right now. God, what are those old shows people used to watch in the middle of the afternoon when they weren’t working?” 
Amaya wrinkled her nose. “Soap operas?” 
“Yeah! That’s the one! Can’t you just see that as the plot to a soap opera? The world is at war, demons and Angels battle for dominance when out of the sky comes..dun dun dun…the Kardashians!” 
Amaya snorted and rolled onto her side to laugh. “Oh my God, Zeke, you are awful at pop culture! The Kardashians used to be a family. It’s the Cardassians that were the aliens!” 
Zeke waved her hand dismissively. “Close enough.” She yawned. “Dev’s going to be coming up to bed soon, and he won’t want to sleep with you.” 
“Then his taste is questionable.” 
“I think he has good taste, personally.” She propped herself up on her elbow. “Seriously, though, I wish I knew what was going on with Gabriel. He’s not acting like himself.” 
Amaya shrugged carelessly. “Good. Who he is hasn’t been working for a while. Maybe he’s making a change. God knows he needs to. I hope he is. Whatever the reason, he’s apologized to you, which is a plus. He’s taking an interest in the war, which is an even bigger plus, and he didn’t even try to talk to me which means, for the moment anyway, he’s respecting me enough to keep his distance from me. All of those are bonuses are far as I’m concerned.”  
“I hope he’s changing for your sake. If he comes down here, gets involved, and starts being who your mother has always claimed he could be, you might get to have a relationship with your father worth having.” 
Amaya made a noncommittal noise in the back of her throat. “I don’t know if I want one at all, but I certainly don’t want one with the way he’s been acting for the past few years. He was different when I was a kid. Then when we got old enough to fight, he changed and got to be like he is now.” 
“I believe him when he says he wants to protect you.” Zeke sat up and flipped on the lamp. “Though for whatever reason, he’s trying now, and I think you should at least wait and see if he fucks it up. I’m certainly not a Gabriel fan, but I’m curious to see how this goes.” She looked over her shoulder at her friend. “I’m going back to my room.”  
Amaya yawned. “Okay. I’ll see you in the morning. Do we know what’s going on with Lux yet? Did Gabe say anything about Zane?” 
“No, he didn’t. If I’d have thought about it, I’d have asked him. Maybe he said something to Michael. We’ll check on it in the morning. Right now, I want sex with Dev, and then I want sleep.” 
Amaya laughed and jerked the blankets up to her chin. “Have fun.” 
“Oh don’t worry. I will.” 

 

10 comments:

  1. Love the Kardashians/Cardassians thing! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your dog, and I can imagine that's it's particularly difficult explaining to a two-year-old. :(

    Ditto on the Kardashian line. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Only Gabriel could sound like a complete pretentious prick while apologizing.”

    Bahahaha! Yep.

    I loved this. The Kardashians/Cardassians thing...so funny. Is it bad that I've giggled at the similar names before? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. star trekkin' across the universe! =P amusing excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, love the soap opera bit. And I'm so sorry about your dog. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about your dog. :( I loved this piece. Your writing flows really well! Even though it was short, I felt myself absorbed in the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your doggy. :-( It's always sad to lose a loved pet.

    I like the father-daughter thing going on here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that Kardashian line! Amaya wasn't the only one snorting. :D And I'm intrigued by Gabriel. That's probably a bad thing...

    Hugs to you, and safe journey to "Lil-Lil". Old dogs are such a treasure, and no matter how long they've been with us, it's too short a time. Take as long as you need to grieve. I still shed tears for the dogs I've lost over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It doesn't seem to matter how long a loved one (family, friend, pet) has been with us, or how long we knew their time to pass on was coming... When they leave, a space in our hearts is left empty for a time. It ounds like you had a lot of years of furry love from your Lil-Lil

    Interesting father daughter dynamic you've got going there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your dog. I know how it feels. :(

    I love the excerpt, though! The dialogue is great and the Kardashians/Cardassians line was priceless, though I'm not sure Zeke is so off the mark when she calls the Kardashians aliens. ;)

    ReplyDelete